Firestick is a streaming device that works only with Amazon Echo products. Like many Firestick users, you may have a question about whether Google Home works with Fire TV or not. The answer to this question is Yes. You can easily pair the Google Home to the Firestick or Fire TV device via Bluetooth. In this article, we have covered the steps to control the Firestick with the Google Home device.
Can You Control the Firestick with Google Home?
Yes. Though both devices are from two different competitors, connecting your Firestick with Google Home is possible. Both devices support Bluetooth, so you can use that feature to pair them. However, you cannot completely control the Firestick or Fire TV with Google Home. You can perform only basic functions like pause, resume, mute, etc.
Streaming without a VPN exposes your IP address, making you vulnerable to privacy breaches and hacker attacks. Without encryption, your online activities are more susceptible to monitoring by ISPs, snoopers, and the government. Lastly, accessing geo-restricted content may be impossible without a VPN, limiting your entertainment options. Hence, it is recommended to use a VPN.
Of all the available VPNs, I recommend NordVPN if you ever want to watch the desired movies, TV shows, or sports events on your Firestick without risking your privacy. NordVPN is the fastest and best VPN service provider with global coverage. You can now avail yourself of the New Year's deal of 67% off + 3 Months Extra of NordVPN to stay anonymous.
With NordVPN on Firestick, your internet traffic gets encrypted, so your IP and identity stay anonymous. You can stream the desired content while staying away from the government and other online intruders.
How to Pair Firestick / Fire TV with Google Home
Follow the steps below to pair your Fire TV Stick device with Google Home.
Enable Pairing Mode on Google Home
You can enable pairing mode on Google Home in two different ways.
- Google Home Device: Turn On Google Home and make sure it is in pairing mode. Also, you can use the voice command, Ok Google, Bluetooth Pairing.
- Google Home App: Go to Settings on the app and select Paired Bluetooth Devices. Next, click the Enable Pairing Mode.
Pair Google Home with Firestick
1. Turn On the Firestick and press the Home button on the remote control to launch the Home screen.
2. Click the Settings icon, which is at the top right corner.
3. Scroll down and select the Controllers and Bluetooth Devices option.
4. Select your Google Home under Controllers.
5. Tap the Allow button to pair Google Home with your device.
That’s it. Google Home has been paired with your Fire TV Stick. However, it will be recognized only as a Bluetooth Speaker and not as a smart speaker. All sounds from Firestick will be rerouted to this speaker instead of the TV speaker.
Benefits of Pairing Google Home with Firestick
While watching a movie from streaming services like Netflix on Fire TV Stick or any other, you can hear the sound coming out from Google Home speakers. You can use voice commands to perform several playback control features, such as Play or Pause while streaming. Remember that you cannot use Google Home Mini or any Google Home models to search for content or perform any navigation on the Fire TV Stick. Instead, you have to use your paired Firestick remote to navigate or search for content on the device.
Alternative Way to Control Firestick / Fire TV
Sometimes, Google Home does not work as you think, and its features are also limited when it comes to controlling the Fire TV Stick. If you are looking for an alternative, then you can choose the Alexa app. Refer to the steps below and easily control the Firestick using Alexa.
1. Install the Amazon Alexa app from the Play Store on your Android smartphone.
2. Launch the Amazon Alexa app on your smartphone after installation.
3. Next, go to Settings on the Amazon Alexa app.
4. Select your Firestick and click the Continue button.
5. Follow the on-screen instructions and tap Link Devices to pair your Firestick with Alexa.
6. Now, you can use the Alexa app to control the Firestick device with ease.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, Google Home can be paired with Fire TV Stick via Bluetooth, but the functions are limited.
If you haven’t enabled the Bluetooth option on Google Home, you will face this problem. To fix this issue, enable the Bluetooth feature on Google Home and try pairing again.